The Compact Disc should take its place alongside sliced bread in the annuals of history. While 8-tracks and cassettes made recorded music portable, their fragile nature made them a less than ideal medium. It wasn't until the advent of the CD that great fidelity finally joined with a format designed for portability. But what do you do if you have large collection of long out-of-print records (LP's, EP's and 45's)? You can't replace them with CD's...or can you. Enter the Xitel INport.
The premise behind the INPort is simple - record from a separate audio source (phono, cassette deck or CD player) into a PC. What sets the INport apart is that signal is routed through the USB port and not the PC's soundcard.
The Retail Box contains the following items:
- 1 INport device
- 1 30' RCA to RCA Shielded Studio Audio Cable
- 1 USB to USB Cable
- 1 LP Recorder Software
- 1 LP Ripper Software
- 1 INport Users Manual
The minimum system requirements are:
- Windows 98SE, ME*, 2000 or XP
- Built-in USB Port
- 32MB system memory
- Pentium 300 MHz or equivalent
- CD-ROM Drive
*ME users must have installed Microsoft's USB audio update.
The PC I used to test this product was a
- AthlonXP 2500+
- 1GB DDR400 DDR Memory
- (2) 60 GB 7200 RPM Ultra 133 HD
- GeForce4 Ti 4200 Videocard
- Windows XP Professional
With a PC of this level, I noticed no delays in encoding.
According to Xitel, here are the highlights of the INport:
- Record from your home stereo using your desktop or notebook as a piece of high fidelity recording equipment.
- Save LPs, tapes and other music digitally on your hard drive as high quality wav files. Edit them, convert them into MP3s, or even turn them into CDs. (you'll need your own burner and burner software to make CDs)
- Bypass inferior soundcards with advanced USB digital rendering technology. Utilize the INport's professional gold plated RCA inputs to enhance all your audio.
- Includes full ground loop isolation to ensure your recordings remain crystal clear and free from hum.
- Comes with revolutionary CFB Software that makes recording back into your computer an absolute breeze. Watch as levels are automatically set and tracks are divided into individual songs. The INport runs with all other Windows compatible recording and editing software, so you can also use your own favourite recording programs.
- Custom input sensitivity fine-tuned for the specific needs of high fidelity line level recording. Connect mini-systems through to state of the art amplifiers with exactly the right level of gain.
- Installs simply by plugging into a USB port ‚?? watch the INport automatically load without the need for any special drivers.
Comes with all interconnection cables, including 30 feet of studio grade RCA audio cable for free!