Contact us! Links Archive Music Hardware Gaming News Digital Silence

[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Comments

More SoundBlaster Audigy Woes Posted September 27, 2002 EDT 5:11PM by Agitator!!

Well, a new problem has raised its ugly head with my SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer card. For some reason a file called CTHELPER.EXE occassionally flips out and utilizes 100% of the CPU!

Here's a condensed version of what I know. I haven't played C&C: Renegade in a while. So I installed the new patch and fired it up. This is no exaggeration...when I got into a game, it was running about a frame every 3 or 4 seconds. My system was basically paralyzed. It took almost 10 minutes just to be able to get out of the game. Thinking it was a video problem, I tried changing all the settings as well as installing the new Detonator drivers (40.71), but to no avail. Finally, I opened Task Manager and saw that CTHELPER.EXE was consuming 100% of my 1.33GHz Athlon CPU. When I shutdown that task, the system returned to normal.

I did some searching and found that I'm not the only one to have that problem. It appears that the CTHELPER.EXE file is something that recently appeared with two other tasks (UpdReg.exe and ADGJDet.exe) that Creative now loads on Start Up. This thread on Creative's European site shows others with the same problem. This thread discusses the roles of those three files. For some reason, nobody from Creative answered questions about those files even though they answered questions in other threads. Why? What is so mysterious about those files?

So if you find your PC suddenly slowing down, check Task Manager, that might be the cause. I definitely hope they fix it in the next driver release!

Name: AnthonyDFW
E-mail: sonealtx@hotmail.com
Date: July 12, 2003 EDT 2:26PM
Comment: CTHelper.exe is eating my lunch too. Is there a patch out for this yet?

Name: Udjat
Date: July 2, 2003 EDT 2:55PM
Comment: Have a look at "http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_w.php" and search for "WINDVDpatch" ...

Name: Udjat
Date: July 2, 2003 EDT 2:54PM

Name: Hellraiser
E-mail: mortalhellraiser@mail.com
Date: May 4, 2003 EDT 3:44PM
Comment: uninstall original drivers, use this one: http://kxproject.spb.ru/
then kill cthelper.exe process and delete it including all other UNneeded creative labs files. Problem solved.

Name: Tzeentch
E-mail: tszpeaem@hotmail.com
Date: February 26, 2003 EST 2:26PM
Comment: Just a little pointer. I recently installed a Live!Drive on my machine and ADGJDet.exe appeared in my Task Manager. It wasn't there before. And I saw in one of those mentioned thread that it might be for headphone detection: When I plug headphones into the Live!Drive it automatically mute my speakers (If checked in AudioHQ - Device Control).

Name: bigaga
Date: February 21, 2003 EST 9:01AM
Comment: hi! just want to ask if somebody knows what is the killapps.exe referring i think to the creative cards or someting about this stuff...thxs

Name: Alex T.
Date: January 30, 2003 EST 4:12PM
Comment: I have worked with Creativelabs on solving this CTHelper.exe issue. Apparently it is there because there was some issue with WinDVD and the platinum remote control access. Deleting the registry key works fine. According to Creative labs they will need to re-build the driver to correct this issue. CTHelper seems to pin the CPU at 100% because it sends a request to teh processor over and over to see if you have windvd installed and the live drive. Of course sometimes it sends requests so many times that your CPU will get pinged at 100% usage. They should be able to fix this for the next driver revision.

Name: Alex T.
E-mail: alext@dreamware.ca
Date: January 30, 2003 EST 4:12PM

Name: Alex T.
E-mail: alext@dreamware.ca
Date: January 30, 2003 EST 4:12PM
Comment: I have worked with Creativelabs on solving this CTHelper.exe issue. Apparently it is there because there was some issue with WinDVD and the platinum remote control access. Deleting the registry key works fine. According to Creative labs they will need to re-build the driver to correct this issue. CTHelper seems to pin the CPU at 100% because it sends a request to teh processor over and over to see if you have windvd installed and the live drive. Of course sometimes it send requests so many times that your CPU will get pinged at 100% usage. They should be able to fix this for the next driver revision.

Name: i.e.d.a.
E-mail: N_/A
Date: January 20, 2003 EST 6:45AM
Comment: HI, i have the same problem, i usually play DoD or HF mods, i change my old sonud card because was unable to reproduce the mic, i buy a soundblaster 5.1 live and after installing i am seeing that problem, my PC runs to slow. Now when i go into windows the first thing i do is,close the cthelper. I update the windows but problem is still there.

Name: i.e.d.a.
E-mail: N_/A
Date: January 20, 2003 EST 6:44AM

Name: Homer_S
Date: January 16, 2003 EST 4:38PM
Comment: So how do u guy's make winupdate to finde the Sound drivers ?? The only driver that is shown to me is Intels "Intel Net Driver Version 6.1.3.0

Name: Baraxe
E-mail: tdoane@yahoo.com
Date: December 27, 2002 EST 8:54AM
Comment: CTHELPER SUCKS! I have XP with two people logged into my machine I get two instances of CTHELPER trashing my machine. I am running the CREATIVE DRIVERS and they ALWAYS seem to install this POS file. I also can't seem to get any answers from CREATIVE as to why they can't fix this. First it was their stupid splash screen killing my machine and now CTHELPER. I've been using Creative sound cards since the first card they ever put out. This is definately the last straw. I'm never buying their CRAP again. I mean really, how tough is it to create a minimalist set of drivers that work? My rear channel only works half the time. I have now disabled the CTHELPER, but I now get poping sounds every once in awhile. Can you believe their support is closed the day after Christmas? What is up with that? I hope NO ONE bought CT products for Christmas. If they did I'm sure they want to wait until the 2nd to get technical support so they can use them. It is clear that none of their crap runs correctly out of the box.

Name: CT drivers much better
E-mail: mouseanony@yahoo.com
Date: December 22, 2002 EST 9:31AM
Comment: The Windows update drivers are crap.... I don't what would you're living in. There are no crackling or Via problems with the drivers. Also, if you really want, just install the drivers and nothing else. If you aren't as stupid as some, you can do it and you won't get anything but the drivers. A lot better drivers too. The trouble is some people are stupid. Sure if all you want to do is play mp3s then you don't need betetr drivers. But if you want to play games you need the Creative drivers (actually all the drivers are made by Creative, it's just that the Windows update ones are ancient ones with limited features) for optimal compatiblity, features, and sound quality.

Most people however will want more then the drivers. You really need the audio HQ. otherwise you will probably be using 5.1 speakers with your 4 speakers or perhaps headphones with your 2 speakers. Whats the use then? I'd admit Creative software is very annoying but just install as little as necessary and clean up your comp after you have install of any of the bullshit.

Name: HikoSeijuro
E-mail: ktulu_tco@homtail.com
Date: December 9, 2002 EST 3:27AM
Comment: Well, I went to the registry and noticed CTHELPER.EXE as the value for the key "WinDVD Patch". I don't use WinDVD, so I deleted the value. Hope this helps.

Name: sp1ke
Date: November 5, 2002 EST 2:27PM
Comment: i've had problems with updreg and cthelper... disabling them in msconfig works fine... :)

Name: Don Henderson
E-mail: dch@neosmart.com
Date: November 4, 2002 EST 11:08PM
Comment: I just looked and I don't have the UpdReg file either. installed the software from the CD that came with the card so maybe they have fixed these problems

Name: Don Henderson
E-mail: dch@neosmart.com
Date: November 4, 2002 EST 10:48PM
Comment: I installed the Audigy gamer card and I don't even have a file on my system called cthelper.exe. I do have the jet detection but i disabled that as well as the spalsh screen loader

Name: Buggerlugs
Date: September 28, 2002 EDT 9:42AM
Comment: I just use MSCONFIG which comes with xp. It looks identical to startup control panel. I`ve noticed i`ve got a entry called simply "W" which says "scanreg" in the registry, dunno what it is though, any idea`s people?

Name: Buggerlugs
Date: September 28, 2002 EDT 9:37AM
Comment: Well i just keep the sblive driver that comes with xp`s install, then update it off windows update. I don`t do any manual installing or uninstalling at all. In windows update it comes under EAX Unified driver, so i assume its audigy compatable too.

Name: Agi
E-mail: agi@d-silence.com
Date: September 28, 2002 EDT 9:14AM
Comment: I actually use Startup Control already and yes, it is a great little program. My concern, after reading those threads on the Creative site, is that I might have some speaker config problems if I disable those things. I guess I will give it a shot. Thanks guys.

Name: ThomH
Date: September 28, 2002 EDT 1:27AM
Comment: Like one of the previous user pointed out, I too recommend you download Startup Control Panel from http://www.mlin.net and prevent all of those three programs from starting with windows.
I myself have them disables and at no point did I ever experience any adverse effects.

Name:
Date: September 28, 2002 EDT 12:40AM
Comment: I don't know what it does but I don't think it's needed. Among other things, CTHELPER.EXE is something I've had disabled for quite a while. Get Mike Lin's "Startup Control" --a utility no expert user should be without.

Name: Agi
E-mail: agi@d-silence.com
Date: September 27, 2002 EDT 8:58PM
Comment: Buggerlugs, did you completely uninstall the Creative drivers first? Then download the ones from Microsoft? I went to Windows Update and they are not showing any drivers for the Audigy.

Name: Buggerlugs
Date: September 27, 2002 EDT 5:30PM
Comment: I must say that using creatives xp drivers downloaded off their website is a really bad idea. All the conflicts with via chipsets and the crackling issues etc...is all down to cthelper in all the live series downloadable drivers. Its the same with the ones that come on cd. Use windows update and make do without the audio hq, its sooooo much better. The newest ones on windows update even use eax and eax2 so what really are you going to loose?

Name: Buggerlugs
Date: September 27, 2002 EDT 5:27PM
Comment: Well heres how i fixed my sblive problems completely. Let windows update install the newest drivers, that way cthelper isn`t used. :)